Catholic Faith Education Newsletter - Nov-Dec 2011
The articles below are all from Ave Maria Press Engaging Faith blog:
You can now find resources for Catholic Faith Education on the new Magazine style Scoop.it magazine. The widget below shows a sampling of the most recently posted resources. Click on any of them to see the full content:
Resources for Feast Days and Special Days
Resources for feast days:
- 21 November: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Memorial
- 22 November: Saint Cecilia - Memorial
- 23 November: Saint Clement I, pope and martyr or Saint Columban, religious - Optional Memorial
- 24 November: Saint Andrew Dung Lac and his companions, martyrs - Memorial
- 25 November: Saint Catherine of Alexandria - Optional Memorial
- 30 November: Saint Andrew the Apostle - Feast
- 3 December: Saint Francis Xavier, priest - Memorial
- 4 December: Saint John Damascene, priest and doctor - Optional Memorial
- 6 December: Saint Nicholas, bishop - Optional Memorial
- 7 December: Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor - Memorial
- 8 December: Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Solemnity
- 9 December: Saint Juan Diego - Optional Memorial
- 11 December: Saint Damasus I, pope - Optional Memorial
- 12 December: Our Lady of Guadalupe - Optional Memorial
- 13 December: Saint Lucy of Syracuse, virgin and martyr - Memorial
- 14 December: Saint John of the Cross, priest and doctor - Memorial
- 21 December: Saint Peter Canisius, priest and doctor - Optional Memorial
- 23 December: Saint John of Kanty, priest - Optional Memorial
- 25 December: Nativity of the Lord - Solemnity
- 26 December: Saint Stephen, the first martyr - Feast
- 27 December: Saint John the Apostle and evangelist - Feast
- 28 December: Holy Innocents, martyrs - Feast
- 29 December: Saint Thomas Becket, bishop and martyr - Optional Memorial
- 31 December: Saint Sylvester I, pope - Optional Memorial
Click on the image above for a full size version of the poster.
Resources on the Sunday and Daily Readings
Articles, Commentaries, Homilies, Clipart, Coloring pages, Puzzles, Children's Stories for the upcoming Sunday Gospel readings:
For more articles, commentaries, homilies, clipart, coloring pages, puzzles, children's stories for Sunday Gospel readings consult the following pages: Sunday Readings: Matthew - Sunday Readings Mark - Sunday Readings Luke - Sunday Readings: John
Resources for Advent: Advent Prayers - Advent Wreaths & Crafts - Advent: Meaning - Advent Coloring Pages - Advent Calendars - Jesse Tree - Advent & Christmas Clipart - Liturgical Seasons - Advent General Resources
Resources for Christmas: Christmas - Articles - Traditions & Stories - Advent & Christmas Clipart - Art & Images - Music - Prayers & Meditations - Crafts and Activities - Coloring Pages - Nativity Coloring Pages - Miscellaneous
Daily Mass Readings:
Blog World Resources
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine
- The Gift of Song by Marlene Sweeney
"Teaching traditional Christmas songs, along with the stories that are enfolded in the lyrics, can turn out to be a favorite lesson each year. This is true, of course, for the songs of Advent and Lent."
- A Woman Clothed in the Sun by Cullen Schippe
"In the liturgical year, forming a bridge between the Sundays in Ordinary Time and the Advent and Christmas Seasons are feasts that actually focus our attention on royalty. One is the Feast of Christ the King and another is the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe—Queen of Heaven and Patron of the Americas."
- Craft Clip: Paper Towels by Jeanne Heiberg
Paper towels can be used for festive and fun crafts.
- Celebrating Advent with Martha and Mary by Lee Danesco
"You are familiar with the Gospel about Jesus' visit to the home of two sisters, Martha and Mary (Luke 10:38-42). This Gospel, although not read during Advent, can be used to enrich your students' journey through Advent. Making that connection, you can create a unique lesson that will enable your students to distinguish between what is central and what is marginal to the Advent Season as, together, you prepare for the coming of Jesus Christ at Christmas."
- The Christmas Wreath by Jeanne Heiberg
- Advent and Christmas Catechist Mailbag by Kate Ristow
"We hear from our readers with Advent and Christmas questions during this season. Our intrepid editor, Kass Dotterweich, replies to each question individually, but this year she saved the most frequently asked questions for a mailbag article. See the end of this article for an Advent Penance and Peace Prayer Service."
- An Introduction to Great Spiritual Classics by John McGrath, SM, PhD
"This article considers how a few people—recognized by the Church as remarkably helpful—responded to the call of the Spirit in and around themselves and left us some significant reflections, directions, and experiences that can guide and stimulate us in our days."
- Learning by Heart: The Joyful Mysteries by Judith Costello
"This teaching tool uses visual clues to trigger memorization. Presented as a puzzle, it is a unique way to remember key elements of our faith, including prayers, Scripture, facts on Catholic teachings and traditions."
- 10 Strategies for Lifelong Spiritual Learning by Barbara Anne Radtke
"Here are ten strategies that keep you learning and help you explore learning opportunities. The list begins with ideas that will help keep you current and the required minimal time and cost. As your circumstances permit, you may wish to engage in a more extended or more formal experience."
- Advice from Master Catechists—November/December 2011 by Dan Thomas, Kate Ristow, Chris Weber, and Sr. Janet Schaeffler
"Should I ask for the gift of going to Mass? How can I graciously decline a very generous offer?"
- Advent Patience Prayer by Mary McEntee McGill
"Advent is a gift. The season turns us from the busyness of holiday shopping and parties to focus on the scriptural teachings of the Messiah's coming. During this season, we remember the true meaning of the coming of the Lord and the Good News he brings to us in his presence."
- Surprised by Grace by Jean Larkin
A special feature on Our Lady of Guadelupe
- Thanksgiving "Because" Litany
- 2011-2012 Church Year Complete a Project
Articles from various sources
- Love Beyond Naiveté and Romance - Ron Rolheiser
- God and Sex - Ron Rolheiser
- The Presence In Absence by Rev. Raymond K. Petrucci , Spirituality.org - November 2011