November 22, 2010 - Volume 3, Number
on the Catholic Faith Education Blog
- Amazing Catechist, founded by Lisa Mladinich, is "a community of faithful Catholics ready to share with you and hoping to learn from you." [more...]
- "People for Others - catechists who use stories as part of their teaching tools will appreciate the collection of close to 30 archived stories. [more...]
- The Johnny Cash Project - teachers can use the project in their classrooms "as an entry point into talking about the difficult subject of death." [more...]
- The Religion Teacher’s Guide to Lesson Planning [more...]
- The Web site of the Catholic News Agency (CNA) has an extensive selection of articles introducing the Bible in general and each of the books of the Bible in particular. Also included ar historical maps of Bible lands and Church documents relating to the study of the Holy Scriptures.
- The Blog That's All About R.C.I.A. - This is the blog of the Association for Catechumenal Ministry [more...]
- Sharing the Word is a daily 90-second radio homily by Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk [more...]
- "Encountering Jesus in the Scriptures" - Online Workshop. [more...]
- Reading Your Bible - This would be a good tool for RCIA teams or for adult sharing groups. [more...]
- Archaeology Illustrated - "With a combination of intensive archaeological investigation, scriptural and ancient text research, and a measured dose of interpretive insight, it is possible to recreate (Biblical) settings with a startling degreeof accuracy. "
- The Hyper-concordance includes each word in the English Standard Version text of the New Testament. [more...]
- These ten principles of environmental ethics are drawn from the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. " [more...]
- The Education for Justice Web site offers a myriad of resources related to Catholic Social Teachings [more...]
Advent and Christmas
- Advent and Christmas Seasons - This section on the Web site of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops offers several resources for Advent and Christmas: On devotionals for Advent and Christmas; Lessons and Carols; Blessings and Prayers; Useful Resources
Clipart and Coloring Pages
- Saint Anne's Helper offers close to 500 coloring pages and clipart to download and to print. [more...]
- Fr Jim Martin on Prayer is a series of 11 videos. [more...]
- The Religious Education and Family Life Office of the Renfrew County Catholic District School Board has a selection of free resources (prayer service and other useful handouts) for each month of the school year. [More...]
- Upbeat Rosary - I receive a substantial number of requests for help in locating resources on specific topics. I am always pleased to oblige when I can. Most of the requests are simple enough to fulfill and I have a general idea as to where the resource can be found. A recent request, however, has me completely stumped! Could anyone provide me with an answer to Cynthia who writes:
"I'm looking for an upbeat/uptempo version of the rosary to listen to while running/exercising. Do you have one or know of one?"
Articles by Gilles Côté
and Religious Education
Resources for Advent, Feast Days, and Special Days
Calendars - Click on the images
Resources for feast days in December:
- 3 December: Saint Francis Xavier, priest - Memorial
- 4 December: Saint John Damascene, priest and doctor - Optional Memorial
- 6 December: Saint Nicholas, bishop - Optional Memorial
- 7 December: Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor - Memorial
- 8 December: Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Solemnity
- 9 December: Saint Juan Diego - Optional Memorial
- 11 December: Saint Damasus I, pope - Optional Memorial
- 12 December: Our Lady of Guadalupe - Optional Memorial
- 13 December: Saint Lucy of Syracuse, virgin and martyr - Memorial
- 14 December: Saint John of the Cross, priest and doctor - Memorial
- 21 December: Saint Peter Canisius, priest and doctor - Optional Memorial
- 23 December: Saint John of Kanty, priest - Optional Memorial
- 25 December: Nativity of the Lord - Solemnity
- 26 December: Saint Stephen, the first martyr - Feast
- 27 December: Saint John the Apostle and evangelist - Feast
- 28 December: Holy Innocents, martyrs - Feast
- 29 December: Saint Thomas Becket, bishop and martyr - Optional Memorial
- 31 December: Saint Sylvester I, pope - Optional Memorial
Advent and Christmas - Resources
Advent: General | Advent: General 2 | Advent: Meaning | Advent Coloring Pages | Advent Calendars | Advent Wreaths & Crafts | Jesse Tree | Prayers of Advent | Advent & Christmas Clpart | Advent Site Reviews - Catholic Faith Education Blog: Advent | Christmas | Catholic Faith Education Blog: Christmas
on the Sunday and Daily Readings
- Articles, Commentaries, Homilies, Clipart, Coloring pages, Puzzles, Children's Stories for the upcoming Sunday Gospel readings:
- For more articles, commentaries, homilies, clipart, coloring pages, puzzles, children's stories for Sunday Gospel readings consult the following pages: Sunday Readings: Matthew - Sunday Readings Mark - Sunday Readings Luke - Sunday Readings: John
- Prepare for Mass Blog
- The Catholic Toolbox: Special Events for November
Click on the images for a full-size version.
Also see Bible Verses Cards, Scripture
Clipart Cards. Bible Posters, and Wisdom of Saints Posters
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine, November December 2010:
Subscribe to Catechist
- Who Is Knocking at Our Door? by Marlene Sweeney
I had never heard of the Mexican tradition of Las Posadas until I served in a tri-lingual parish that worked very hard at incorporating different ethnic customs into the community's prayer life.
- Craft Clip: Pine Cones by Jeanne Heiberg
Gather natural pine cones, with flat and open petals (scales), or purchase them at craft stores.
- St. Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe by Sr. Vivian Giulianelli, S.A.
The objective of this activity is to learn about Our Lady of Guadalupe (whose feast day is December 12) and St. Juan Diego (whose feast day is December 9) and to have students retell the story with wooden-spoon puppets.
- Advent and Christmas: Light in the Darkness by Stephen M. Colecchi
"O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the LORD!" (Isaiah 2:5)
- Light Comes into a Dark World: The Day Star by Jeanne Heiberg
There is a joke that goes like this: "Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." This shows how much we interpret light in more than material forms.
- Advent Wreath Blessing by Lori Veenker
This Advent Wreath Blessing can be used in your classroom or you can make copies of it and send it home with your students for them and their families to use. Depending on the size of your group, you may need to combine reading parts.
- What Is Advent Really? by Mary McEntee McGill
Each year it arrives—and we notice.
- The Lights of Advent for Your Students and Their Families by Sheila Kearney
At this time of year, our thoughts, time, and energy turn toward preparing for the holiday season.
- Advent—A Time to Prepare by Jean Grant
A group activity for the family at home or your class family.