October-November 2011 - Volume 4, Number 6
You can now find resources for Catholic Faith Education on the new Magazine style Scoop.it magazine. I will be regularly posting interesting and informative articles, web sites, videos, stories, images on this platform. Over 100 resources have already been posted. Please do not hesitate to suggest articles or resources that would benefit others in this magazine. The widget below shows a sampling of these resources. Click on any of them to see the full content:
Resources for Feast Days and Special Days
Resources for feast days:
- 14 October: Saint Callistus I, pope and martyr - Optional Memorial
- 15 October: Saint Teresa of Jesus, virgin and doctor - Memorial
- 16 October: Saint Hedwig, religious or Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, virgin - Optional Memorial
- 17 October: Saint Ignatius of Antioch, bishop and martyr - Memorial
- 18 October: Saint Luke the Evangelist - Feast
- 19 October: Saints Jean de Brébeuf, Isaac Jogues, priests and companions, Martyrs or Saint Paul of the Cross, priest - Optional Memorial
- 23 October: Saint John of Capistrano, priest - Optional Memorial
- 24 October: Saint Anthony Mary Claret, bishop - Optional Memorial
- 28 October: Saint Simon and Saint Jude, apostles - Feast
- 1 November: All Saints - Solemnity (Resources)
- 2 November: All Souls - ranked with solemnities
- 3 November: Saint Martin de Porres, religious - Optional Memorial
- 4 November: Saint Charles Borromeo, bishop - Memorial
- 9 November: Dedication of the Lateran basilica - Feast
- 10 November: Saint Leo the Great, pope and doctor - Memorial
- 11 November: Saint Martin of Tours, bishop - Memorial
- 12 November: Saint Josaphat, bishop and martyr - Memorial
- 15 November: Saint Albert the Great, bishop and doctor - Optional Memorial
- 16 November: Saint Margaret of Scotland or Saint Gertrude the Great, virgin - Optional Memorial
- 17 November: Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, religious - Memorial
- 18 November: Dedication of the basilicas of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles - Optional Memorial
- 21 November: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Memorial
- 22 November: Saint Cecilia - Memorial
- 23 November: Saint Clement I, pope and martyr or Saint Columban, religious - Optional Memorial
- 24 November: Saint Andrew Dung Lac and his companions, martyrs - Memorial
- 25 November: Saint Catherine of Alexandria - Optional Memorial
- 30 November: Saint Andrew the Apostle - Feast
Resources on the Sunday and Daily Readings
Articles, Commentaries, Homilies, Clipart, Coloring pages, Puzzles, Children's Stories for the upcoming Sunday Gospel readings:
For more articles, commentaries, homilies, clipart, coloring pages, puzzles, children's stories for Sunday Gospel readings consult the following pages: Sunday Readings: Matthew - Sunday Readings Mark - Sunday Readings Luke - Sunday Readings: John
Resources for All Saints Day: Calendars and Indexes of Saints - General Information on Saints - Canonization & Beatification - Classroom Activities on Saints - The Wisdom of Saints - Sayings - The Wisdom of Saints - Posters - Catholic Faith Education Blog: Resources on Saints - Saints Coloring Pages - All Hallows Eve, All Souls and All Saints Day Resources
Daily Mass Readings:
Blog World Resources
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine
- Supporting the Struggling Catechist by Marlene Sweeney
- By Their Fruits by Cullen Schippe
- Craft Clip: Plastic Bottles by Jeanne Heiberg
Recycle those plastic bottles into craft material.
- Saintly Stewardship by Kathy Carlisle
Each year, our students participate in a stewardship drive to identify ways they can commit their time, treasures, and talents to the parish and broader community.
- Essential Mission: To Foster Your Students' Life of Prayer by Eric Ruszala
- Think of God—Like the Saints by Jeanne Heiberg
Sitting in the dentist's chair waiting to have a tooth pulled, I used my time to do some meditating from a favorite daily prayer guide. The title of that day's mediation was "The Golden Key." It said that when things get difficult, don't think of the difficulty. Think of God.
- Holy Days: a surprising new way to think of Holy Days of Obligation by Jean Larkin
- Complete-A-Project Bible Search : What Belongs to Caesar, What Belongs to God by Alice Pfeifer, CSA
This Complete-A-Project Bible Search activity is for teacher and students (grades 4-6) working together.
- Learning by Heart: The Prayer of Praise by Judith Costello
This teaching tool uses visual clues to trigger memorization.
- Schools of Spirituality: Drawing from the Wealth of the Catholic Tradition by William H. Johnston
How do we discover the ways of prayer?
- Advice from Master Catechists—October 2011 by Dan Thomas, Kate Ristow, Chris Weber, and Sr. Janet Schaeffler
Do we pray to the saints? What is the value of relics?
- Saints Come Alive! by Judith Costello
Everyone enjoys playing "dress up." Although some, especially older students, may feign distaste, young and old alike enjoy becoming someone else.
- Celebrating Saint Gaetano Errico by Patricia Mathson
Shared the Good News Feast Day: October 29
- The Assistance of Saints by Mary McEntee McGill
These are extremely difficult financial times for many people. Many of us and our friends, spouses, and other family members are being called to shift our lives—and in the call to do that, we pray for assistance.
- Works of Mercy and Social Justice by Dr. Patricia M. McCormack, IHM
As children, we learn how to transfer the abstract concept of love into practical and observable actions through the teaching and example of our parents. It is a parent's major responsibility
- Praying Through the Psalms by Jean Grant
Help your students learn about the Psalms with this prayer service.
Articles from various sources
- Unconscious Images that Deeply Influence Us - Ron Rolheiser
- Growing In Holiness by Fr. Dr. Jerom Paul, Spirituality.org - September 2011
- Legacy Of A Christian Martyr by Cynthia Cabo Sellers, Spirituality.org - October 2011
- From The Cross With Love: Seven Words To Live By, George Olivera, OFM Cap. - Spirituality.org - August 2011